Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It was 1970 (and 1980) something ...

So my friend Tessa did a note on Facebook that has prompted this blog. My childhood was spent through the 1970's and 1980's and I have to say things have changed!!

--I remember getting our first VCR. Actually before that we rented one to watch special VHS tapes from the Piggly Wiggly. When we got our first one it was HUGE!! Now we have a very thin, lightweight DVD player that my 7 year old can work better than me!!
--I remember my grandparents picking us up from school--my grandfather in his old yellow truck and my grandmother driving her blue Buick. Those were GRAND times! My grandmother always had yummy snacks and we watched "Leave it to Beaver" and the "Munster's" reruns. It was a great time!!
--My dad and I rode his motorcycle. This why I do not like motorcycles today. After we had an accident going down a hill to go to the lake, the motorcycle went away forever.
--I remember my mother taking dancing lessons and us dancing together in the living room. I can still see BeBe doing the box step!
--I remember fishing with my parents and my grandparents and also spending countless hours at the lake. Daddy bought a boat that we thought had to be the fastest boat ever..and it you measured the happy moments on the boat in terms of dollars, we'd be worth millions!
--I remember my grandparents taking us ice skating in Montgomery every spring break (and during the summer.) I thought that was super cool!
--I remember a family vacation through South Carolina to visit Ft. Sumpter and Boone Hall plantation, to Washington DC where I was able to witness the 125th anniversary of the Battle of Manassas..we visited all around DC, went to Hershey Pennsylvania, Williamsburg and so many places in between ..and we had the best tour guides possible--my mom's cousin and his sweet family!! Wonderful, wonderful trip!
--I remember the countless flowers my Mema had in her yard. She truly had a green thumb and they were her pride and joy. She had the most gorgeous hydrangeas you could imagine.
--I also remember my MeMa making lunch for everyone. Her house was the gathering place for my cousins at lunch..she'd make something for everyone in one meal. It was nothing to have fried chicken, vegetables and cornbread along with pizza for the kids.
--I remember the day we got our dog Mitzi. She was the prettiest Brittany Spaniel you ever could imagine--and the sweetest little dog ever!
--I remember the day Mitzi visited school one day when our class was outside doing our lessons. The school was close to our house. I looked up and there she came. I guess she sensed that her girl was close by and came to learn some Spanish!
--I remember thinking that getting to go to the Arcade to play those big bulky video games was just the coolest thing ever! Now we can play them on our cell phones!
--I remember when the Space Shuttle exploded--very sad.
--I remember going roller skating and thinking getting to roller skate to the Beach Boys was cool.
--I remember as a little girl getting to go sleep over with my older cousin, Nancy and then when she moved away, my other cousin and I got to go spend the weekend. We thought it was just such a treat as we thought Nancy the coolest person in the world (and I still do!)
--I remember vividly the day we went to Montgomery to adopt my baby brother. Getting to sign my name of the paper for him is as clear as if it happened yesterday. What a fabulous day!

The list could literally go on and on..happy, fun times with my parents and family. I can only hope and pray that my daughters will be able to remember such fun times growing up someday! We are blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment